I loved potato skins as a child but as an adult I could never get past potatoes bad rap. Potatoes are not only delicious but they are low in fat and full of potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and fiber. Cooked properly and eaten in moderation this delicious stem vegetable should be a food staple. I’m glad I found potatoes again!! Try these healthy and delicious protein packed potato skins. You won’t be sorry.
• 6 russet potatoes
• 1 lb ground chicken
• 1 cup of your favorite salsa
• 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
Staples: 2 tbsp Olive oil, Spices – 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp dried cumin. Salt and pepper to season.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. On a baking sheet line potatoes. Baste one side of potatoes with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Flip potatoes and do the same to the other side. Place tray in the oven and bake for 60min.
2. Remove potatoes and allow to cool slightly. Slice in half and core out the middle using a small spoon. Baste the inside of the skins with olive oil and place back in oven for 10 more minutes.
3. In the meantime spray a medium skillet with cooking spray and cook ground chicken with a fork until no longer pink. Add spices.
4. When potatoes are done remove from oven and fill with chicken. Add a tbsp of salsa and finish with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Place tray back in the oven to melt cheese and warm salsa. 5 min. Remove and serve!
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo