It was very cold and rainy yesterday and we all craved something warm and hearty for dinner that didn’t pack too many unhealthy fats. For the most part we eat a pretty clean and healthy diet in our house. With the occasional scoop of ice cream or a gluten free, nut free cookie. Everything in moderation! I decided to whip up an easy and healthy shepherd’s pie that was easy to cook, serve and eat. You all probably have the ingredients for this already in your kitchen. This recipe uses basic ingredients but packs a flavor punch! Give it a try tonight. xoxo
• 1 lb grass fed ground beef
• 1 cooking onion sliced
• 3 cups of fresh or frozen vegetables (thawed)
• 1 cup of your favorite gluten free tomato sauce
Staples: Drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper to season and 2 sprigs of fresh chopped rosemary or 2 tsp dried rosemary
• 2 white or sweet potatoes cubed
• 2 tbsp olive oil
Staples: Salt and pepper to season
1. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet on medium. Add onion and cook on medium until translucent. 3-5 minutes. Add thawed vegetables and continue to cook. Add rosemary, salt and pepper and stir. Remove vegetables from skillet and place into a bowl.
2. In the same skillet add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. When done add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and stir. Add the vegetables back to the meat mixture and stir. Add another 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and stir. Place mixture into a round or rectangular casserole dish.
1. In a large pot boil water. Place the potato cubes into pot and boil for 20 minutes or until soft. When done drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Using a fork mash potatoes. This should be very easy! Add olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Spread mashed potatoes on top of meat mixture and serve!
3. Option to place the shepherd’s pie in the oven at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes to brown the top.
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo