If you are in search of a yummy and healthy spring salad, look no further. This quinoa, kale and grilled vegetable salad is spicy, sweet and satisfying. The chickpeas and quinoa provide protein and fiber while the kale and vegetables deliver tons of essential vitamins. This salad is easy to whip up and the dressing uses all natural ingredients that I know you have in your pantry. Give it a try this weekend.
• 3 cups of cubed butternut squash
• 1 25 oz can of chickpeas drained, rinsed and dried
• 1 cup of uncooked quinoa cooked according to directions
• 4 cups of chopped kale
Staples: olive oil to drizzle, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper, sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Line 2 baking sheets with foil paper and coat with cooking spray. Toss cubed squash in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss chickpeas in a separate bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, garlic, chipotle pepper and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
2. Place squash in one layer on one of your baking sheets and do the same with the chickpeas on the second baking sheet.
3. Place trays in the oven and cook for 45 min flipping squash and chickpeas halfway to cook evenly on both sides.
4. When done assemble your salad in a large bowl. Add quinoa then kale, squash and spicy chickpeas. Top with a dressing of choice or my Carrot Ginger Dressing below.
* Feel free to add any other grilled vegetables you like to top the salad.
Carrot Ginger Dressing
• 1 cup of baby carrots
• 1 tsp pure cane sugar
• 1 tsp fresh or powdered ginger
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
Staples: 1/4 cup of water + 2 tbsp olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper
1. Place carrots in a food processor and pulse. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to pulse until smooth. Pour into a bowl or toss with salad and serve.
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo