This was my first time cooking rhubarb! I grilled one batch and stewed another. They were easy to prepare and tasted so tangy and delicious. I decided to use the stewed rhubarb for this recipe because it kind of resembled jam and I figured it would blend well with the strawberries and pomegranate seeds. I topped my salsa with fresh basil leaves and served it with gluten and nut free pita chips. You will want to eat the salsa right out of the bowl. It is such a fresh summery treat! Serve your salsa with pita chips, on top of muffins, cake, toast or ice cream. The possibilities with this is endless. 🙂
• 1 rhubarb stalk chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
• 8 large strawberries chopped
• 1/4 cup of pomegranate seeds
• 4 basil leaves chopped
Staples: 1/2 cup of water, 1 tbsp cane sugar
1. On top of the stovetop in a small saucepan place the chopped rhubarb, water and sugar.
2. Bring water to boil. Reduce heat to low, stir and then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Take off lid and allow to cool. The rhubarb will have fallen apart to resemble a stringy jam.
4. In a medium bowl combine strawberries and pomegranate seeds. When the rhubarb has cooled add it to the strawberry mixture and stir. Sprinkle basil on top and serve with chips.
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo