We recently dined at a fabulous authentic Italian restaurant where I ordered an eggplant parmesan dish. It was incredible and I forgot how much I love it. I wanted to make a healthy version for my family that wasn’t fried and came up with this! I hope you like it 🙂
• 1 eggplant sliced lengthwise
• 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
• 1/2 cup of fresh mozzarella + 1/4 cup of fresh parmesan
• 1/3 cup gluten and nut free bread crumbs or panko crumbs
Staples: 6 fresh basil leaves chopped or 1 tsp dried basil, salt and pepper to season, sprinkle of garlic powder
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and grill eggplant for a few minutes on each side so that they turn golden brown.
2. Place eggplant slices on a greased baking tray and cover evenly with tomato sauce. Sprinkle garlic powder on top. Add breadcrumbs and then cheeses. Top with basil leaves.
3. Place tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble. remove and serve. Top with grated parmesan cheese if desired.
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo