I recently traveled throughout Israel and fell in love with the flavors of the beautiful country. I like to cook using basic fruits and vegetables but play with different spices. I was introduced to Za’atar while I was away and I loved it! You can buy pre made Za’atar or combine certain mediterranean spices to create your own. We are making Israeli inspired falafel wraps tonight in our house and will stuff them with these spiced eggplant pieces to add a burst of flavor.
• 1 eggplant cubed
• 1/2 tsp kosher or pink Himalayan salt
• 1 1/2 tbsp Za’atar spice
• 2 drizzles of olive oil
1. Place cubed eggplant in a shallow bowl and coat with salt. Let sit for a minimum of 1 hour to draw out the bitter liquid. Rinse eggplant in water to remove excess salt and pat dry.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Place eggplant back in the bowl and drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with Za’atar spice. Toss to coat.
4. Place eggplant onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and drizzle with a little more olive oil.
5. Bake for 40 minutes. Flipping eggplant pieces halfway through.
Enjoy the eggplant in a salad, with hummus, or in a falafel.
Easy peasy. Enjoy!