I have a new love for shredded coconut. Our allergist says that coconut isn’t considered a tree nut and our son seems to tolerate it very well. I know there is a lot of controversy about coconut in the tree nut allergy world but we seem to be able to have it in our home. Please check with your physician before you attempt to add coconut to your diet. These tenders are extremely moist and flavorful. We dipped them in a sweet chili sauce and the kids loved them!
• 2 lbs chicken breasts cut into tenders
• 1 cup flour
• 1 cup panko crumbs + 1 1/4 cups shredded coconut
• 3 eggs (beaten)
Staples – 3 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tsp celery seeds, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper to season
1. Line 3 shallow bowls beside each other. Fill one with flour, the second with the eggs, and the third with the panko crumbs, shredded coconut, celery seeds, garlic and salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients in the third bowl.
2. Lay each chicken tender into the flour to coat both sides. Do the same with the eggs and finally the coconut mixture. Continue until all of the tenders are coated.
3. In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil until melted. Turn the temperature to medium. Place 1/3 of the tenders into the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 5 minutes or until they’re no longer pink in the center. When done transfer to a plate. Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil back into the skillet and cook another 1/3 of the chicken tenders. Continue this method until they are all done.
Serves 6-8 people
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo