We love beets! They’re sweet, tasty and flavorful and they’re a great source of fiber, vitamin C and B6. Be sure to save your beet leaves for this recipe as you can eat them! Beet Greens are an excellent source of vitamin K, A, C, B2, fiber and calcium. They are also a great source of iron, vitamins B1, B6, and protein. Too many great things to waste. Follow my recipe below for a yummy beet green salad that creates little waste!
• 3 large beets + their beet greens
• 1 cup uncooked quinoa
• 1 6″ cucumber chopped, handful of multicolored baby tomatoes quartered and 4 chopped green onions
• 3/4 cup feta cheese
Staples – 2-3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp dried parsley, 1 tsp dried basil, salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle of balsamic reduction
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Cut the leaves and stems off the beets. With the skin still on, wrap each beet in foil paper. Place beets in the oven for 60 min. When done remove from oven and cool. Throw away foil and peel back skin from beets using latex free gloves. Chop beets into cubes.
2. Cook quinoa according to the package. remove from stove and allow to cool.
3. Wash your beet leaves and slice them into 1/2″ wide strips.
4. In a large bowl combine beet greens, cucumber, tomatoes and onions. Add the olive oil, spices, and salt and pepper. Stir. Add quinoa and continue to mix.
5. Place salad into individual serving bowls and top with beets, feta, and balsamic glaze.
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo