Since my daughter Golda tested positive for celiac disease I have enjoyed experimenting with different “flours”. This recipe calls for quinoa flakes and gluten free oats which both provide a nice amount of protein and fiber. Great way to start your day! We haven’t been missing white flour as all of these new substitutes contain higher nutritional values. These breakfast cookies are sweet with a dash of spice and the quinoa flakes and oats add a really nice texture. While they were baking my house smelled like heaven. You have to give them a try. Oh, and the best thing about these cookies is that they’re free of the top 8 allergens! No peanuts, tree nuts, egg, dairy, soy, wheat, fish or shellfish. Winner in our house!!
• 1 1/2 bananas
• 1/2 cup SunButter
• 1/2 cup quinoa flakes + 1/2 cup gluten free oats
• 1/2 cup mini Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
Staples – 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. In a medium bowl mash 1 banana. Add the SunButter, syrup and vanilla. Stir until all of the ingredients are mixed.
2. Add the quinoa flakes and oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and continue to mix. Add the chocolate chips and stir well.
3. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and evenly distribute the batter onto the tray using your wooden spoon. Makes 9 cookies. With your fingers create circle shapes with the batter. Cut 1/2 of a banana into 1/4 inch slices. Top each cookie with one slice and press down slightly.
4. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove and allow to sit for 3-5 minutes. Serve warm.
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo
Makes 9 Breakfast cookies