Autumn is our favorite season specifically because of the wide variety of root vegetables available. Spiralized sweet potatoes are an excellent way to introduce your kids to these sweet and nutritious fall veggies as they resemble spaghetti! Top with grainless meatballs and homemade tomato sauce for an easy, no sugar added, gluten free dinner. I added some quinoa into the recipe for some extra fiber and protein. It also adds an earthy taste and texture. We’re so happy Fall is finally upon us!! Are you?
• 5 cups (1 lb) sweet potato noodles (store bought or spiralize at home)
• 1 cup raw quinoa + 1 1/2 cups water
• 2/3 cups sun dried tomatoes (sliced)
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 6 oz can of tomato paste + 1 1/4 cups water
Staples: 1 tsp paprika, 1/8 tsp chipotle pepper, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp garlic, 1 1/2 tsp mediterranen spice, salt and pepper to season.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. Place spiralized sweet potato on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Spray the noodles lightly with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Insert the tray into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and using tongs turn over noodles and bake another 15 minutes.
2. While sweet potatoes are cooking place quinoa, water, sun dried tomatoes, paprika, chipotle pepper, cumin, and garlic in a pot and stir. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes. When done remove lid and fluff the quinoa using a fork. Let stand while you make the meatballs.
3. Divide the ground beef into 12 pieces and form into balls with your palms. Season with salt and pepper. Coat a skillet with cooking spray and cook the meatballs, turning frequently to sauté each side. We like ours medium/well. Feel free to cook your meatballs to your liking.
4. In a small pot on the stovetop combine the tomato paste, water and mediterranean spice. Heat thoroughly and stir until the mixture resembles tomato sauce.
4. When sweet potato noodles are done transfer them to a large bowl. Add the quinoa mix and stir.
5. Plate your dish by filling a shallow bowl with the noodle mixture, top with 3 meatballs and drizzle your homemade tomato sauce on top!
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo